It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poecilia Reticulata / Guppy Description
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Poecilia Reticulata / Guppy Description .
More Info Later.

Post subject: Re: Poecilia Reticulata / Guppy Description
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

quiestsimilis

I'm curios if wild guppies (in native range) from different countries/rivers have distinct characteristics. Example: Do Venezuelan guppies have different colors and patterns than Brazilian guppies? If they do, pictures would be great.
Also, which traits are considered "wild"?

Fishpunk
I don't think there are any pure endlers in Brazil, are there? I thought they were limited to Venezuela and the lowlands near Cumana.

Quote:
I'm curios if wild guppies (in native range) from different countries/rivers have distinct characteristics.

Robert
Administrator
Just read the topics in this forum (wild Guppies,).
Enough pics to find the answer to your question. Smile
Best Wishes, Robert.

Fishpunk
« Robert » wrote:

Just read the topics in this forum (wild Guppies,).
Okay, DUH! Embarassed

Robert
Administrator
My answer was for quiestsimilis, did not mean to give comment at fishpunk.
Best Wishes, Robert.

quiestsimilis
Quote:
"I find that most wild guppies are similar in apearance with only few
differnces between populations.. You need to compare many specimens
from each location to find the difference.. There are few populations with
very noticeable unique traits.. These populations are usually restricted to
specific locations.."

AdrianHD (wild guppies from Peru thread: http://www.endlers-usa.com/viewtopic.php?t=150)
So what unique traits belong to the different native populations?
Quote:
"The original wild guppies from Caracas that were giving to me were only few... I was able to save two males and four females . Below are pics of original males that produced most Venezuelan wild stock that I have offered to the fellow hobbyiest.. Most offspring that I sent out have the metallic green body coloration. After few generations I got offspring that look like other male( lower male) in pic but nicer looking.."

AdrianHD (Wild guppies from various locations thread http://www.endlers-usa.com/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=28)
So most Caracas guppies in the hobby probably have far less genetic variability than the wild population.

I read all the other threads and that was all I found.

kangakoi
Adrian did not collect wild guppy in Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, etc hence what he wrote is Isolated. We appearently came from from the same bloodline and believe me I do not look anything white..ha..ha....Adaptation...

Fishpunk
« Robert » wrote:
My answer was for quiestsimilis, did not mean to give comment at fishpunk.
Best Wishes, Robert.

Yeah, but it fit. The thread is about guppies and I was talking about endlers. Silly fishpunk.

Robert
Administrator

« Fishpunk » wrote:
Yeah, but it fit. The thread is about guppies and I was talking about endlers. Silly fishpunk.
I knew you would find out by yourselves. Twisted Evil
Best Wishes, Robert.

« kangakoi » wrote:
Adrian did not collect wild guppy in Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, etc hence what he wrote is Isolated. We appearently came from from the same bloodline and believe me I do not look anything white..ha..ha....Adaptation...
That is because all the wild guppys from Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, etc were introduced from south America to try to combat the mosquito populations! Kanga you should read your guppy history! Shocked Laughing
Ps we are all the same color under the skin!!

kangakoi
All those bombs and bullets and still mosquito? strange. I didnot know guppy was an introduced species to south east Asia, by whom? they are always there...since 1969 look like I have to read more....hi..hi..

shelti end
« kangakoi » wrote:
All those bombs and bullets and still mosquito? strange. I didnot know guppy was an introduced species to south east Asia, by whom? they are always there...since 1969 look like I have to read more....hi..hi..
Hi kanga cant remember exactly by whom! But i read quite some time ago they were introduced after the second world war! Have to look back through
some books! Rolling Eyes

kangakoi
what I did see with the guppy population in mother land years ago was that they do varies, even from the same population. that was why I searched and catch the males that look different. sorry to say that now all thou swamp land turned into towns and people lives on top of each other