It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Planaria
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

kangakoi

Did anyone has these in their Endler Tanks and cant seem to get rid of them? they look like small slug about 1cm in length and look horrible.
sa

Are you talking about planaria? The freshwater ones are usually white and pretty thin. Reduce the amount of food that you feed your fish. I've read that guppies like to eat them, too. Also, you can add some salt to your tank.

kangakoi
Yes the world most worse speller. Thanks

SCGeordie
On the subject of things in tanks that are not really wanted, Has anybody found a way of getting rid of Hydra successfully that does not involve stripping the tank down completely? I feed a lot of live Daphnia and no matter how much I rinse I always end up infecting tanks with Hydra, so much so that I now keep a spare 10g just to use to swap out with the worst infected tank each week (I have 5 10g's holding juvies of various species).

kangakoi
SCG,
with the Planaria problem I added four hand full of Pool Salt in the tank of 60x30x30cm/1000=54L, two in the morning and two after work. twenty four hrs later I did not see a single one hanging anywhere on the sides of the glass tank I will wait afew more days before vacumming and change water. Endlers in that in this tank are still happy. What I did has no sciencetific bases and no testing devices, just a "Gut" hunch, so far it seem to work. I imagine this could be done for Hydra too, but remove the fish first. Also not sure how much damage to the filter bacteria in the gravel bed. So if you are desparate then try.

PS. all the things appeared below your posts are your credentials? you got a "Degree" in Wild Type (N) Black Bar Endler I see...hi..hi..Wonga Creek not Wonka?

SCGeordie
Kanga,

HA!! yeah I got Degrees in all of those Smile
Wonga/Wonka........I think Wonka Creek may be a little too sticky, Wonga Creek is in the Northern Territory (or could be the one in Queensland), just up the road from you. If you care to take a drive up there and catch some Rainbows I'll swap you for some Black Bars!
The salt maybe a possibility for the growout tanks as they are for the most part bare tanks - just have mopani driftwood in them to add tannins, I'll maybe give it a try, one question though - how big are your hands (want to make sure I have the right amount!)?

Nebulosa

Kanga, Adding salt is one of the accepted methods for getting rid of planaria, so you're doing okay there. However, I don't think you needed to add that much salt for such a small tank, so you have a brackish tank now.

Geordie, There are many methods of hydra control, but most of them are temporary measures. As long as you have your daphnia culture, you're going to get the hydra. Unfortunately, none of the control methods are as easy as adding salt.

kangakoi
Nebulosa is the sanity check person for me...hi..hi..thank you. I need someone to pull me back sometime when I am on a different Plane...I guess you could called me Unique...
the salt treatment thingie was from koi keeping. Pleas have a read of this

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/salt%20but%20 ... 201111.htm

there are all sort of formulars and measurements that I stuck on the board in my computer room at home so when I need them I would not have to go looking for them...the idea is to beat the salt content of the bugs so they dehydrate and die...I just wondering Guppy and Endler must be bloody salty inside..ha..ha... ia ya..Pool Salt $7.99, 25kg, if not desolve your money back...buy..buy laaa`
I think Wonga Wonga(doudle naming of places is very popular in Australia ie The Never, Never, The Bungle, Bungle, Kakadu, Kununurra if you pronoud Cu..nu.nu.ra then you are wrong is Ka..na..na..ra)is in New South Wales somewhere and that a clear 3000 plus km on the otherside of the country that a month crow fly and a year to walk. I am not a typical country road driver anything above 80km scared me. So, sorry but no back bar. it is good to have a chat with you both Brother Nebulosa and Mr SCG I will be back next week if i see any Planaria in the tank or not...

kangakoi
I have gone mad today and salted all tanks in my fishroom. i am absolutely dis-like PLANARIA after 24 hrs I did not see any crawling on sides of tanks...I hope they all DIE...I will wait a few days then change water....two things cleaning endlers of parasites before winter and getting Rid of planaria at the same time.....You can see mad kanga with a bag of salt.

kangakoi
Well, look like I cleaned up this planaria problem with salt and hopefully they will not make a come back. Endlers is pretty good with salt as I went crazyer(note the er) even the cherry shrimps forgave my 'Evilness" and survived...I will change water on all tanks and washing of all nets....just wondering how Endelrs fairs with Postasium Permaganate? ....hi..hi...I will call this experiemnt number 326..hi..hi.. no, just joking, they are Endlers not Koi....

Nebulosa
I'm glad it worked out!

kangakoi
« Nebulosa » wrote:
I'm glad it worked out!

Thanks you to with the initial step...ie salted the Endlers in you marine tank....Could you, do some(hybrids) in Potassium Permanganate? hi..hi

Nebulosa

Kanga, I love my fish, so I don't do any crazy experiments on them. See if your Endler's are healthier now that they have a bit of salt in their water.

Fishpunk
Potassium Permanganate is not a crazy experiment, It's used in ponds.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa032
Seems like 2PPM would be very hard to measure even for a large tank. That's probably why you don't hear about it being used in aquariums.

Post subject: Re: Planaria
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Nebulosa
Hey Fish,
Yeah, potassium permanganate is used in reef aquaria as an oxidizing agent, too, but it is very potent. I was commenting to Kanga, because he was suggesting that I use it in my tanks, but there's no reason for me to use it. I don't have any parasite issues. Knock on wood...

kangakoi

I am glad that I got you Brothers,
Brother FP,
in worse cases we use PP to clear stuffs but there will be casulties. PP is unforgiven, so if all elses fail PP and or Formaline. I am just Joking with Nebulosa since he like Hydrid and "Balloon Mollies"..ha..ha...with Endler you can throw in buckets of salt and they still fine while the parasite busted up and die...so it is a good thing for us if we wish to clean up the tank and endler. In pond situation we talking massive amount of water so stuff like Praziquantel use is not possible and 1kg of PP(regent grade) is $15.00 and we're talk about part per million ppm ie 1 to 2 gram per tonne of water( this infor is for sake of conversation only if anyone used these stuffs and kill your fish then is not our fault). Brother FP from now on you would be known as Mr"Spock"

Nebulosa,

I am Pulling your leg(joking) no bodies ever listen to the Kanga and take it seriuosly....well, sometime....treatent him with a law suit and see, he will retract all his comments..hi..hi