It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Winter Months Water Change
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:24 am 

LL,

I don't think Fishchick operate anymore she sold her shop and gone completely online and even we beg her she will not do any more favour for us.

A question to fellows Australian out there,
To your knowledge how many Lines of real "Coloured Gambusa" are there currently in Australia and where they are? I know the Aust fisheries may kill us with these posts but just for the sake of conversation let speculate.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm 

From what I know of, I believe there to be 3 in brisbane - peacock, snakechest, and red chest. There was also another guy in sydney a couple years ago who posted some pictures and he had four varieties... but he hadn't been online in a while

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:22 am 

the snake chest was buried in the red chest and also the double red chest.....you obviously did not read the whole old forum as I recommend...hihihi...I was waiting for someone else to respond but he did not bite.....do you have links etc to Sydney person in forums etc? ....get your Mechanical Engineer Degree first then we will talk serious Wingei.....a big thank you for the response. Please search for Sydney person details.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 pm 

I'll be retired in 5years max.....

Fav fish?

Live ones....;)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:17 am 

Rod wrote:
I'll be retired in 5years max.....

Fav fish?

Live ones....;)

five years is not long, are you looking forward to this day? what are your plan for so much spare time and how you manage to keep out of the Madam hairs.....this is the most scary issue that I think of in another 15 years time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 am 

New Wild Strain, How It Works !!

I want to share my knowledge and methods used when developing new strains from wild collected specimens.. Basic info that most can understand and put to practice/use.. There are lots details that we will not go into cause it would take many pages , pics and time.. Hope you enjoy..

Example #1 =
When collecting Poecilia any type, Collectors are usually looking for the special,different looking Specimen.. That's the one that you hear about and always gets away.Ha Ha Ha

Among large populations there might be few individuals with slight differences .. If you are advance hobbyist you can pic these out from population.. And if you regularly go collecting chances are higher that you may come across a morph , Unique individual .. Usually only one specimen
that is different.. Maybe different body color= Gold Body, Albino, Extended Fins, or something that make it Special / Unique..

We will say Molly with red patch on head.. You collect him or her and you also need to collect couple young of opposite sex from same population..
NOTICE ( I said Red patch ) NOT a Red color Molly .. It just does now work like that.. You need to understand that you do not collect ready to go Specimens were you just make more duplicates of .. Exceptions would be Body colors such as Albino, Gold, Bronze and then you still need to work with these to produce more offspring of same Recessive body types..

The Specimen (Will say Male) you collected will be quarantine and medicated along with population females , Clean them up..

During this one to two weeks time , I will feed them well ..
After quarantine I put male with few femals, He will be mating with them.
The first drop You will get most likely is from population males .. I will raise these young and separate sexes when they begging to develop.. Keep few virgin females for future use if needed..

Second batch of young should be from select red patch male.If he is fertile witch is not always the case..All is Good.. If Not , that's the end of Project.. You need to keep looking in same population if maybe ????? you find another specimen with similar trait.. These specimen's traits are usually recessive that's why you only find one or Maybe two ???

The young produce from the select male most of the time will not display
new trait and you may be disappointed .. Don't be.. Breed young daughter females back to him.Second generation may produce one or two other offspring with similar but usually less modified trait.. Now begin new tank with only specimens displaying trait, include father.. Obtain as many young as possible from these F3 .. Future generation that produce better looking/enhanced trait specimens need to be separate and start line breeding ..F4 should produce good stock, lots specimens with desire trait.. Now you need to modify genes and develop a red molly. .Once strain has properly be set, Most of the offspring should resemble each other with little variation..
It will take about 2 years to Properly develop and imprint new traits into strain...

Example #2 =
Will will use Wingei.. I'm going to use wingei cause lots hobbyist always asking collecting ?? (Kanga and others)..
No you don't collect and all red , Blue or any other solid color wingei. it is not the nature of wingei or reticulata to be mostly one color..
Their nature is Multi Colors .. You may collect few specimens with
large patches or areas covered with a single color but they will also have plenty of other natural accruing colors .. These should be isolate and bred with same population young females, Best would be Virgins.. Now You begin your line breeding program.. ( You will breed to increase/Spread/Enhance larger areas of select color)..Notice you will breed to Modify, make more of specific color genes) Work your way up from nature...
Not down grade your way back to nature..Such as collecting a mostly red color or any other color specimen.. This is not NATURE .. Wild stock does not work that way.. First you have basic slightly modifiedl color animal that you selective breed to make beautiful new strains..

And no you just don't collect a nice looking specimen and duplicate by mating with females,, You need to pay attention to specific dominant and recessive traits so that you choose correct offspring for future breeders ..

You need to first inbreed, then selective breed and last line breed all different steps for proper imprinting of specific traits.. You can make recessive traits into dominant traits ...

O.K. Basic ,
You have nice male that you obtained.. Breed with young virging female if possible.. If not male offspring is as good as father ? Breed father back to Grandaughters.. F3 should produce couple males equal to or better then father.. If so now breed them with sister and then with grand daughters.. F5
Should have many good looking males and a good tight genetic pool of desire traits.Seperate into two or more lines using only one male or two males max per three or four females.. Begin linebreeding and you should have well establish strain.. Takes about two years for tight strain.. One year or less for few look alike specimens with lots variations , not set strain...

I'm not sure if I made a point or gave good breeding info.. Maybe I just rambled on and on about nothing ??? AdrianHD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:13 am 

I have a question and I was looking for an answer.......I think I found this article in the Old Forum and I may as well cut and paste it here so it may benefits someone else in future. By the way, when you read this think of "Master Yoda"....hihihi....We're still loves him all the same.